Tuesday 18 September 2012

5th Gen iPod Touch - My Thoughts & Opinions

iPod Touch 5th Generation - My Thoughts and Opinions.

Hey guys, it's Yoni here, I'm back again and this article is my thoughts on the new iPod touch.

I do apologise for the lack of content recently, and would like to give you all warning that there will be a distinct lack of content from me over the next few weeks.

Also, I will try my best to get my hands on an iPhone 5 on Friday (launch day), if I can't I'll have to do it on Sunday.


The iPod touch, we probably all know someone that has one. The first 3 generations were based heavily on the iPhone, except they had a slightly different design, were slower and had no camera.

In September 2010, just 3 months after the launch of the iPhone 4, Apple announced and released the updated line of iPods. The updated iPod Shuffle which brought back the control buttons, the completely redesigned touchscreen iPod Nano and the 4th generation iPod Touch.

The 4th gen iPod touch brought revolutionary features (at the time) such as an amazingly thin and light design, 2 cameras, FaceTime and a Retina Display.

Just last week, on September 12th at the Apple Event, apple announced the brand new iPhone 5, as well as the new iPod nano and iPod Touch 5th gen.

Unlike last time, the iPod touch has now evolved and moved away from the iPhone a little more. Yes, it has Apple's A5 processor seen in the 4S, and it has the same Lightning connector and 4" screen as the iPhone 5, but it I think that over the next few years the iPod touch will get better and better and will soon be on-par with whatever iPhone it gets announced
with.

The design is nice too. I used to despise the iPod touch, the first 3 generations are disgustingly ugly. The 4th gen is ok, but still kind of ugly. I really really like the look of the 5th gen, I love how they all come with a white faceplate and you can choose from different coloured aluminium backs, But of course you can buy a fully black one as well. I think the multicoloured thing is well overdue but has been done very well.

The loop... The loop is a button on the back of the iPod touch that pops out and holds a wrist strap sold by Apple, most likely not included in the package but we won't know until October. I like it, especially since the wrist straps come in iPod colour coordinated colours. Its also great because of the amount of people that break their iPods by dropping them accidentally.

The screen. So, when I went on holiday for 2 weeks in July, the only technology I had access to was my camera, and an iPod Touch 4th gen. Even though the model I took with had battery issues itself, it was great for playing games when plugged in, and listening to music for long road trips.
Having said that, I felt really cramped and limited with the screen. You should all know by now that I'm a hardcore iPad user, I use my iPad every day for a lot of things. When I was using the iPod touch, I felt as if the iPod was only for music. The keyboard took ages to type simple sentences, videos looked wrong, apps were cramped and it was a hard device to use.
Apple has put everyone in a difficult situation with the new iPhone and iPod touch. The new 4" screen is slightly taller, so it displays videos at true 16:9 res, and houses an extra row of icons, but it's only taller and not at all wider.

Apple thinks its a massive advantage because you can still use the screen with one hand, but I think it's completely the opposite. Not only do developers now have to update their apps to fit the screen, but you'll still feel cramped in with the screen. It won't make a whole lot of difference really, un-updated apps will be letter-boxed and look terrible anyway.

The screen is still a big part of the iPod that needs development, but some app developers are already releasing updated versions of their apps and a lot of app developers are working on updates.

Hopefully developers won't just scale up their apps and instead be smart with them and make the most of the upscaled screen.


The camera. This is definitely a strong point that the iPod has, especially since most people will be carrying their phone and their iPod. What do they think of taking the picture with? Their low-res phone or their good quality iPod?

The iPod's camera is now the same as the New iPad's (iPad 3). It's now 5MP, takes really high quality stills, and of course super HQ 1080p videos. It now has an LED flash by its side and auto focusing.

The iPhoto app (still one of my favourite apps) works with the new iPod (not the 4th gen though) so you can take really good stills and almost professionally edit them and share them with ease. Stupendous, isn't it.



Overall, I think the new iPod Touch is an absolutely fantastic device, the screen is definitely lacking especially for Apple's design history, but otherwise I definitely think it will sell well, and for those of you that don't want an iPhone 5, and have an Android or Windows Phone, this is great to have if you want the best of both worlds. It's also a really great device for listening to music, and Apple has focused improvements on it so that it works really well with gaming, such as the fast A5 chip and improved screen and graphics.

I really wish I could get one but it's not possible right now.

Thanks for reading, please comment with your own opinions, or let us know if you're getting one!

No comments:

Post a Comment