Wednesday 26 September 2012

BlackBerry 10 - why I like it

I've pretty much decided that when I get my contract upgrade in April of 2013, I'll be going with BlackBerry 10. There are a few reasons why, and here they are:

I'm actually one of the few tech savvy people/ tech journalists that's in RIM's favour, and really want BB10 to do well. Although, WTF were they thinking with their BB jam Americas ad?

BBM: we all know of BBM, blackberry's own messaging service which has been running over the past 5 years, maybe longer. Anyone that owns a blackberry gets a pin and a profile, and can chat with anyone else with a blackberry. Millions of people still use it and since I used to have a blackberry, I know the experience and really like it. RIM's definitely improved BBM with thing like music sharing and NFC built into it, and it'll definitely get better with BlackBerry 10.

Apps: since BlackBerry Jam Americas is happening right now, developers are being invited to create new apps for BlackBerry 10 but also port their android apps to the Blackberry 10 app world. They've updated the SDK and API's to benefit developers.

QWERTY vs Touchscreen: the blackberry I had used a QWERTY keypad, something that a lot of people aren't in favour of but I'm the opposite. Within a month I could type on it quickly and even without looking. I hate typing in touchscreen devices, especially on smartphones and the ipod touch with their 3-4 inch screens. It's manageable on the iPad's 9.7" screen though. Blackberry know that a lot of people like touch screens and the same with QWERTY keypads, so they are bringing out multiple devices with touch screens and QWERTY keyboards. I'll most likely go with qwerty.

Email: for me, blackberry devices have always been good with email. Even though the software is simple, it's still really manageable and you can choose between a singular inbox or a unified one.

It can sort-of compete with the iPhone: the BlackBerry 10 devices have 2 (probably more) things that let it compete with the iPhone - NFC and of course A BRAND NEW OS!!!
The iPhone has pretty much been running the same software since its launch in 2007. All that's really happened is some big tweaks to it and more 1st party apps.

Apple's response to NFC - Passbook. An app that allows you to download more apps.

RIM's response to NFC - adding NFC chips to their devices for seamless wireless data transfer.


Sorry if you don't like RIM but I really do and it's a shame that they've released so many half-baked products in the past few years. I really hope they do well with BlackBerry 10, especially because if they fail then they'll most likely go bankrupt and their servers will go down, leaving everyone's Blackberry pretty much useless.

Thanks for reading anyway, I might change my mind by April especially considering that we've got CES 2013 in January and MWC 2013 in February, meaning that we'll see a ton of new smartphones and new technologies being revealed.

In my opinion I'd probably prefer a BB10 or even a Windows Phone 8 device as my main smartphone over an iPhone 5. Just personal preference really.

No comments:

Post a Comment